- Snip out the good stuff! Get fresh new eyes on your dissertation to help give you comments on article and publishing potential. Identify the portions capable of being utilized effectively.
2. Get a map! Identify the target media and publications and study what they do best. Learn who publishes what. Identify what they publish and how they do it. Identify model articles that you can use to guide you to publication success.
3. Enlist and Get Qualified Help! Look for a technical writing coach and/or an editor with the right experience. Go to the writing center at your school. See what services are available to you at low or no cost. Evaluate the credentials of the coach and make sure they are right for you. Then let them do what they do best to help you polish your work.
4. Identify your Options. There are several alternative options for publishing. There are many ways you can get published. You can publish articles, do interviews, or publish a book. Identify the best option and then create an action plan to make it happen.
5. Scope out Teaming Opportunities. Identify the alternative avenues for publication. You do not need to publish by yourself. You can team with other people and save money. You can share the work as a contribution is developed and you can share the credit and benefits that result from publication.
Dr. Cheryl Lentz has been guiding PhDs through the publication process for more than 25 years. For more information visit. Her highly regarded series The Refractive Thinker, has been utilized by hundreds of PhD candidates to get their work published.